How to Enter
- Entry is open to all innovators and inventors whose innovation/invention meets all of the criteria below:
- it is fully developed (or a final working prototype is available for display); and
- it meets the judging criteria.
- Applications will only be valid when the AU$45 payment fee has been received.
- To be eligible, innovations must be new and not have been on sale to the public before 1 January 2007.
- Applicants must be the legal or authorised owner of the innovation/invention.
- Applicants must consent to promotional, public and media exposure of their innovations/inventions if they are selected as finalists and the use of their (personal) image or photograph
- Applicants may only submit one innovation per entry, but may submit multiple entries.
- Past finalists of the Next Big Thing Award™ are not eligible to re-enter the same innovation.
- INNOVIC employees and their families are not eligible to enter.
- Applicants must accept and abide by all the terms and conditions of INNOVIC's International Next Big Thing Award™ 2009.
- If selected as a finalist, applicants must make their innovation available for public exhibition from 30 May to 12 July 2009 in Melbourne, Australia with transportation of the innovation to and from the Australian INNOVIC offices at their own expense.
- Australian finalists and the winner of the International category must be available to attend the Award Cocktail Ceremony on 2 July 2009 and the Sponsors' and Finalists' Speed Networking Breakfast and Deal Flow meetings (business matching appointments) on 3 July 2009 in Melbourne, Australia.
- With the exception of Victorian finalists, Australian interstate finalists will receive one return economy airfare from the finalist's nearest capital city plus one night accommodation at the 5 star Hotel Windsor to attend the Award Ceremony and activities on 2/3 July 2009. Transport to and from the originating airport is at the finalist's own expense. Transfers to and from Melbourne airport will be provided.
- The winner of the international category will be provided with one return economy airfare from their nearest capital city to Melbourne, Australia and five nights accommodation Hotel Windsor, including transfers to and from Melbourne airport. Transport to and from the originating airport is at the finalist's own expense.
- Applications must be completed and submitted online at http://www.nextbigthingaward.com.
- Applications must be completed in English.
- Applications must be accompanied by one image (max 500kb) of the innovation.
- Applications will not be considered complete and valid without payment of the AUD$45 entry fee (non-refundable).
- Applicants must answer all the questions on the application form accurately and comply with the word count.
- Applications must be received by 5pm Australian Eastern Time (GMT +10.00) on 16 March 2009. Entries received after this date may be ineligible.
- Applicants must consent to the Terms & Conditions of entry
- Applications will not be returned to the applicant.
The following six Awards will be presented:
- INNOVIC's International Next Big Thing Award – 2009 winner
- INNOVIC's International Next Big Thing Award 2009 - People's Choice
- Green (environmental) Award
- Innovation Excellence
- Social / Community Benefit Award
- International Award
Only the innovations selected as finalists will be eligible for the awards. Judging will be conducted by panels of experts using the following criteria:
People's Choice Winner
- Unique benefits and innovative features
- Alignment with future market trends
- Market need and market size
- Commercial viability
- International potential
- Potential to become the Next Big Thing 2009
Will be by popular vote on-line at nextbigthingaward.com.
Category winners will be determined by the judges based on excellence in the specific category. All 25 finalists are eligible to be a category winner, but ONLY applications received from outside Australia are eligible to be considered for the International Award.
The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Finalists and Winners
- Green (environmental) Award - based on environmental benefits
- Innovation Award - based on level/degree of innovation
- Social / Community Benefit Award - based on most significant social impacts and/or benefits to the wider community
- International Award - based on best innovation/invention received from an international applicant
Rights and Obligations
- Finalists and unsuccessful applicants will be notified on 6 April 2009.
- Finalists must provide a minimum of three high resolution images (min 300dpi) of the innovation for promotional purposes including the DVD by 17 April 2009.
- Finalists must complete a Media Form by 17 April to enable INNOVIC to maximise publicity.
- Finalists must deliver their respective innovations to INNOVIC in Melbourne, Australia for public exhibition by the 15 May 2009 and make them available for continuous public display until 12 July 2009.
- The winners will be announced on 2 July 2009 at the Awards ceremony in Melbourne, Australia.
- Finalists must arrange, at their own expense, the return of their respective innovations at the conclusion of the exhibition.
- INNOVIC shall not be liable for any loss or damage to any innovation/invention during the exhibition or at any time.
- INNOVIC retains the right to promote and seek publicity for all winners and finalists.
- INNOVIC has the right to disqualify any applicant who does not comply with any of the terms and conditions of entry.
- Winners and finalists are expected to comply with all reasonable requests for media articles, interviews, radio and television appearances as part of INNOVIC's International Next Big Thing Award promotional activities.
- Winners and finalists have the right to promote themselves as being successful participants in INNOVIC's International Next Big Thing Award 2009™ and to use such logos as INNOVIC provides.
- With INNOVIC's permission, winners and finalists may use images, photographs, media articles, DVDs and publicity material featuring their innovations which have been produced by INNOVIC.