Product: Phase Changer
Innovator: Mark Bridgman and Ian Jackson
Company: Phase Changer Pty Ltd
Phase Changer is a portable system that converts 240V or 480V single phase power to produce quality 415V 3-phase power. It allows farms and small businesses to operate a wide range of machinery that they could not otherwise use. It employs unique microprocessor based electronics to manage the operation of the equipment and balance the voltages within close tolerances.
- Significant cost savings compared to buying and running a diesel generator (estimated savings of $100,000 over 5 years)
- The size and portability of the unit allows small businesses to take 3-phase power with them
- Saves rural properties thousand of dollars over the cost of having a power company 3-phase connection (if available at all)
- It works well on hard-to-start loads such as compressors and pumps
- Different size converters can provide from 2.2 to 35kw of power
- An LED display shows the load being applied to the converter
- It allows small businesses to carry out work that they could not otherwise do
Status of Innovation:
In the past 12 months several hundred systems have been sold around Australia to farms, small businesses and home workshops. Phase Changer now has a staff of seven people operating the business from the rural town of Longwarry in West Gippsland.