Product: Smart Lids
Category: Health & Safety
Innovator: Nick Bayss (NSW)
Company: Smart Lid Systems
Smart Lids is a colour-changing disposable drink cup lid. Brown in its 'cold' state, it transforms to red when covering a hot beverage.
It eliminates the problem of people burning themselves from takeaway drinks, with a visual indication that the contents are hot.
It also shows whether or not the lid is securely attached to the cup, the most common cause of spillage.
- Visual warning that the contents are hot
- Indicates whether or not the lid is securely attached to the cup
- Advertising platform for colour changing logos/text to appear and disappear
- Reduces public liability concerns
- No retooling costs, it work on all types of lids - flat, domed, or sip through
- No hidden packaging or transportation costs as weight and 'nestability' are not altered
Status of Innovation:
On sale in Australia since mid 2006 through Australia's largest disposable lid manufacturer. Approximately 500,000 units have been sold. Plans are underway for global export.