Mediseus® Surgical Drilling Simulator
Product: Mediseus® Surgical Drilling Simulator
Innovator: Ross Horley
Company: Medic Vision
The Surgical Drilling Simulator is designed for clinicians to practice sensitive and high risk skull based drilling techniques. Using a stereoscopic virtual reality 3D microscope, the software-based system offers robotic force feedback to replicate the visuals and feel of the drilling procedure used in traditional surgery. The Surgical Drilling Simulator allows students to practice in a safe and controlled environment without harming patients.
- Surgeons can practice complex operations by preloading the patient's data
- Stereoscopic virtual microscope allows surgeons to see virtual patient's anatomy in three dimensions
- Inbuilt 'virtual supervisor' provides constant guidance
- Full assessment report records levels of skill proficiency
- Modules can be easily integrated to include any drilling procedure, even dental
- Reduced risk to patients and reduced use of cadaveric samples
Status of Innovation:
The Surgical Drilling Simulator was launched commercially in the USA in April 2008. Orders are currently being taken with units sold to China. Sales are expected from all over the world, including of Australia.